If you can smell gas or think you have a gas leak:
- Open doors and windows to let the gas escape if it’s safe to do so
- Check all your gas appliances are switched off
- Call the 24 hour National Gas Emergency hotline on 0800 111 999
- Turn your gas off at the isolation switch (if you know where it is), then wait outside and let your neighbours know
- Don’t switch lights on or off, use doorbells, mobile phones or any electrical switches
- Don’t smoke, light a match or use any other kind of naked flame
- Don’t go back into your home until you have the all-clear
If you’re worried fumes containing carbon monoxide are escaping from a gas appliance, call the 24 hour National Gas Emergency hotline on 0800 111 999.
Power cuts usually don’t last long but if it’s more than a few hours, call your Distribution Network Operator (DNO) on 105 – they’re the people responsible for problems with the cables supplying electricity to your home.
Before you ring, remember to:
- Check your trip switch to make sure there’s not a fault with your wiring or electrical items
- See if your neighbours have power. If they don’t, it’s likely there’s a problem with the local network – call your DNO on 105
If you are off supply due to a meter fault, or you believe that your meter is unsafe, please call 0800 953 3710 – Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm.